Friday, June 1, 2012

"Oh the Places You'll Go"

"You have brains in your head, you have feed in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose."

I read those words to my students the first day of school, and could not be anymore excited to see where the year led us together. I re-read those words to them today in "OH the Places You'll Go," and sobbed as I read the words. I have been so lucky to teach such fantastic students this year. Being single, I told my students all the time that they were my family. When I go home at night I don't sit and play with my own children or spend time with a spouse, I spend all of my time thinking how I can help them. They understood that I love them and will miss them. It was harder then I imagined to say goodbye. I may have danced and cheered with them as they walked out the door, but I know I will miss those little faces. They have been my "kiddos" for the past 9 months and they have helped me grow far more then I ever could have imagined. I'm so grateful I have been "Miss Frenchy!"

A note today from a mom said something along the lines of: (student name) has had a really hard year socially this year but he has told me on multiples occasions, "at least I have Miss French." That meant more to me then a check for a million dollars. I have helped at least one person, and hopefully more, have a successful year, and I will miss them during these summer months!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I about bawled after student teaching, I can't imagine after nine months, and being the one in charge :) I bet Miss Frenchy was fantastic in everyway. So awesome your first year is finished, proud of you girl!

Amber said...

That is sweet Melissa!