- She wore an Elmer's Glue Halloween costume.
- We got to sew for art projects.
- We got to type our stories on the "fancy" computers.
- She would let us play 20 questions.
- We would wear an apron when talking about "Nouns," and I still remember the song we would sing with the words, "A Noun is a name of a person, place, thing, or idea!"
- She had a mailbox that would hold all of our assignments (I've tried this and haven't done quite as well...but whenever my students open my mailbox, I see Mrs. Wecker's face!)
- She knew I loved to write and would always ask to read my stories. Even after the school year was over she asked me to mail her my stories. She even wrote back. I have these precious letters saved at my parents house. I'm thinking I need to frame them and hang them in my classroom!
- She made me absolutely love school. I still can picture the leather (Grandma looking) shoes she wore with the ruffles on the toes. I would sit and play with those shoes while she read stories to us.
Looking today online I tried to somehow find a picture of Mrs. Wecker, but I couldn't. And silly as it is, the tears almost started again. Mrs. Wecker forever changed me. She taught me that I can learn, love to learn, be silly while learning, enjoy learning, and laugh every day while learning. More importantly she taught me that every student or every person matters. And, when hard times come, don't give up. Put on that bold face. Because you never know which person is watching you whose future you can brighten forever. I love you to this day Mrs. Wecker, and I hope you sometimes look down on my classroom and smile, knowing I'm trying my hardest to be even half as amazing as you!
2 comments:
Your little 3rdies are going to be writing their blogs 15 years from now and writing about how you influenced them just like your teacher influenced you! Isn't it amazing how awesome teachers are! Miss you!
Your post made me cry. I am sure that your students will think of you just as fondly as you think of Mrs. Wecker.
Post a Comment