
I've decided, this whole student teaching thing, it's pretty much hard. I left my practicum class last semester on a teaching 'high'. I felt confident in my teaching and loved every second of it. Needless to say, first grade is a lot different then fifth grade. Every day I like it a little more, but so far it comes no where near my fifth graders. I started teaching 90 minutes each day on Monday to teach Reading. I was so excited and still am excited about teaching. It's my favorite 90 minutes of the day. It's the rest of the day, when I see my amazing teacher teach, that I get down on my self. She is absolutely 100% spot on awesome and it is a constant reminder of how far I still have to go. (Don't worry, I'll get there!) But today I was letting it get to me way to much, when we went in to an assembly that reminded me why I'm choosing this profession.
It's hard to even begin to explain the emotions I felt, but I'll try. The assembly was on a new challenge the school is trying. Every time the students catch someone being kind, they'll write that kind act on a paper, link that paper into a chain, and at the end of the school year we hope to have a mile long chain. The concept is good, but the way it was presented is what got me. The gym went black and one laser light shown on the gym ceiling. The presenter asked if one act of kindness was good, and everyone of course said yes. But then the one laser light flashed into thousands of stars on the ceiling. Of course the students screamed and cheered. But then the presenter said can we do this many acts of kindness, "yes"...then she asked if they could do that many acts of kindness again..."YES" and it just got louder and louder. We then talked about how we are all different but because we're different that's what makes us great and treating everyone with kindness will make the world better. She then played the song, "True Colors" (kind of a dorky song...or so I thought) They listened to it once and then sang along the second time. As the song started the lights on the ceiling changed with the music. As all the students watched this show they sang along. Most didn't even know they words until...." I see your true colors, shining!" And they were singing at the top of their lungs. Maybe I just love singing, maybe I love kids, but all I know is it was a pure and beautifully amazing moment. Hundreds of students were singing and I sat in the corner just crying!
It was a good reminder of why I'm doing what I'm doing, to stop getting so down on myself, and just work through this semester and learn all I can. Because someday...really soon...I'll be the full time teacher who can create a classroom were kindness is key and hopefully my students will come away being more accepting of all people. I only hope!
3 comments:
Melissa, I'm glad you posted your blog address on facebook. I didn't know it before. I like reading about your experiences. :) I already know that you are going to be a great teacher, because of what a fun person you are!! Keep it up... It will only get better from here! :)
I have no doubt in my mind that you will be an absolutely amazing teacher!!!! I remember how hard it was for me to start my job after graduation. The feelings of inadequacey and fear. They will pass all too soon and you will impact so many young people's lives for the better and teach them lessons that they may not have learned anywhere else. What a wonderful opportunity!!!
I am sure the teacher you are working with now felt the same way when she was student teaching! You are going to be an amazing teacher.
Post a Comment