I have almost finished my third week of student teaching. Has it been hard? YES! Has it made me rethink a lot of things about myself? YES Have I loved it from day one? NO But I am catching glimpses of how much I know I'll love it when I'm done. I'm realizing that I can't compare myself to others when I teach and that I am a great teacher in my own way. And I do know one thing, and that's that I love these little first grade hearts like I couldn't imagine. Little things happen every day that melt my heart...here is one from today.
A little boy came to have me check his math facts worksheet. When I gave him a nice star on his paper I said, "Great Job Sweety!" He looked at me with the funniest look on his face and said, "Why did you call me Sweety?" I of course said, "Because I think you're sweet!" He laughed and then said, "No, why did you really call me sweety?" I didn't quite know what he wanted or needed to hear but I said something along the lines of, (and be reminded he is one of the more trouble students in the class) "I think today you've made some great choices and I can tell deep inside you have a sweet heart and want to be a good boy. Today I saw that good boy and can't wait to see him everyday." A smile came across his face that melted my heart. These children in my class don't have the best home situations. Some have great parents but for the most part it's a rough place to live. Every day I pray that I can say something to remind them that no matter what situation they may be in, they can be great and feel loved at school. Hopefully this little boy felt that today! :)
2 comments:
You are going to be an amazing teacher who will make a difference in the lives of her students.
that is so sweet!! I'm sure you'll do such an amazing job!!
Post a Comment