Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kids say the darndest things!

I realize all I've talked about lately is my first graders...but right now they consume 80% of my time and I think about them constantly. I'm beginning to love them more and more and more every day. I know when I leave I will miss them! This week some of the cutest things have happened but I wanted to share two of my favorites!

1. I was working with a small reading group of 6 students. We were reading a little story and each taking turns reading a page. One student, K., didn't want to read. At first he just wouldn't read and then he put his head in his arms and was being so frustrating! Finally I had all of the students read to a partner and I asked him to come read to me. I got all of the students going, and the rule in my class is girls are always first. So if they're in a partnership with a girl the girl reads first. I started working with K. At first I was a little mad and told him he better read or he'd be stuck there all day! Of course he rolled his eyes ( I would have done the same thing!) So then I asked him what was really wrong. Finally he told me a story, something about his sister being mean to him and it made him really sad. After talking it over he was ready to read, or so I thought. But instead he laid his head back down and just looked at me. My frustration level started up again when I looked at him and said, "Okay K., you have to read." He looked up at me with cutest puppy dog eyes and said, "But Ms. French, girls always read first." Of course I started giggling and smiling but saying, "You're right K!" I started reading and he read perfectly the rest of group time. How sweet it was to me that after all of that drama he still wanted to be polite and follow the rules and let girls read first!

2. Today we were talking about gardens and the type of things you grow in a garden. I had students throw out items found growing in a garden. I got some great responses like carrots, pumpkins, potatoes, etc. Then one little boy raised his hand and confidently said, "Ketchup!" I about died, but held it together while I asked him what ketchup was made of and once he remembered it's made of tomatoes the light switched on and he realized that's what he meant. It was the most adorable little thing.

I just love how quick first graders are to help others in need, hold the hand of a friend in class they barely know, forgive when someone hurts them, and love unconditionally. They're amazing!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I'm loving your stories. I'm glad things are going well for you.