On Saturday night I saw Willy Wonka performed at the Colonial Theater with my friend Chris. Charlie had an amazing voice for such a little boy, the Grandpa was PERFECT and seemed just like the Grandpa in the movie, and Willy Wonka did great, but for me one little Oompa Loompa stole the show.There was an entire family participating in the play who had a down syndrome son. He didn't want to be left out so they gave him the part of an oompa loompa. And every time he came on stage my heart just melted. Sometimes he would be so shy he would just stand there. Other times he would join in singing (belting about every third word) and participate in the dancing. He remembered the steps far better then I could have! One time he even lost his fuzzy wig and he kept on going!
For me it was a great reminder of the things I should be focused on. Being in the schools a lot, I've seen way to many children with mild handicaps to great handicaps be shunned by parents, or teachers and students feel awkward around them. I never want that to happen in my classroom. I hope I can love and include all children just like the people in the play included this little boy. I would go back and see the play again just to see him! He stole my heart!
2 comments:
I love this post!!
Did you not just love Willy Wonka? You are going to be a great teacher! I just love you and can't wait until we can hang out!!!
Post a Comment