Sunday, August 24, 2008

Half Marathon of Death!!!!

Yesterday was a day I have been counting down to and preparing for all summer. The night before the race, when I realized there was nothing else I could do to prepare and that it had finally come, the nerves and excitement really hit. I was nervous that it would go horribly and for some reason I couldn't finish, but I was so excited to finally be doing what I have wanted to do forever. Some of the best moments happened before the race even started. Driving to the race Ronda, Amber, Melina, and I were all a little tired and excited which made the drive fun. I can't even count the number of times combined we all had to stop at the bathroom before the race. It was almost funny to see everyone going in and out knowing the nerves were hitting us! It was also hilarious to see Melina in the childs pose position on the floor of the elementary school, going out to the car, and coming back a few minutes later to find her still there! It was so fun to start the race and have everyone running so excited to begin. It was amazing to see my family cheering for me and to see my friends from the ward surpise me by showing up to cheer for me too. I titled this post the Half Marathon of Death because as I was running something funny happened to cheer me up. I felt really great until about mile 9 or 10 and then it hit me how hard the race was. I honestly didn't think I could make it. Then this man comes running behind me and I read the back of his shirt and it read Half marathon of death. It made me laugh to know he was telling the truth and understand what he meant! It cheered me up and I was able to go for a while longer. Although I tripped over a rock with my clumsy feet, had to go to a walk/jog after mile 10, and I almost passed out when I finished the race it was honestly one of the most amazing things I've ever done. It was all worth it to see my family waiting for me at the end, especially to see my Dad looking so proud. Although I'm hobbling around today I'm doing the race next year for sure! I am so proud of Melina, Ronda, and Amber for running so amazing and I want to tell everyone to start running because you should all do the race with us next year!


The Before Picture! We still look energetic and excited to run over 13 miles!

Amber and I before the race started! We've had so much fun all summer encouraging each other on talking about the race.

I can't tell if I look excited or terrified in this picture but I was looking at a gian thill ahead so who knows which one it was! This was around mile 7 (I think) and at this point I was still feeling really great.
The after picture: We definitely look exhausted and worn out but at least we still look happy! WE DID IT!!!


No comments: