Thursday, February 21, 2013

3 Simple Stories

Last night I had to go through my first night of parent teacher conferences for this Winter semester. I always dread them. I have never had a good experience with them or come away having learned anything...until last night. Last night 3 different parents taught me 3 powerful little lessons that I can't stop thinking about.

Parent 1: This Mom came with 6 children in tow, the oldest being 8 who is in my class. She had all of these little kiddos with her, yet she had a smile on her face and still stayed focused on her daughter in my class, while looking around for all of her other 5 children! I couldn't believe how she just kept smiling! She really reminded me that you can smile and be happy in any situation and take advantage of the little moments!

Parent 2: This Dad came with his son to talk about how he was doing in school.  His son is very bright and very smart and is always asking questions. His Father spoke mainly Spanish. The conference was just a normal conference until the Dad simply said, "Thank you for sending home this homework with my son. I do it with him and it is helping me with my English every day." That to me is a GREAT parent. He helps his son every night with homework yet he is learning all at the same time. To me this man is simply amazing. 

Parent 3: The last woman I can't help but think about came with her 3 children. I'm pretty sure all 3 children have different fathers and she told me she is pregnant with the fourth. She is a very kind woman and has been more present in my classroom then any other parent this year (which means she's stopped in about 3 times!) I had the great chance of telling her that her son was the top in my class in all subjects, he is my kindest student, and he is one that I have the most fun with on a daily basis. She just started crying and couldn't stop hugging her son. This woman, who has been through who knows how many hardships in her life, recognized the bright moment in her life in her son. It was a powerful experience to witness.

So although I am dreading staying 3 hours longer one more night tonight, I am also anticipating who may come. What stories may I hear or experience tonight?!

3 comments:

Terri French said...

I love your stories!!

Brian and Ali Childs said...

Aw! Your stories made me cry! Thanks for sharing those precious moments in life that make it all worth while!

Cheri said...

PTC has never been my favorite either. I don't know if it's because you anticipate what "could" go wrong or what. We often forget these precious moments which are far more common. Hang on to them!