If I were asked to describe myself, I could do it in three simple statements.
I am a Daughter of God.
I am a wife who loves her husband very much.
And, I am a teacher.
I've thought a lot about that third statement the past three days. I was with my students on a field trip when I received the news of those 20 beautiful children and 6 adults who'd never again walk through the doors of a school.
I cried all afternoon as I drove home from work and watched the news. I couldn't help but place myself in their shoes. I walked through my day step by step picturing someone unwillingly entering my classroom. How would I react? Could I be as brave as those women who protected their students? It left me feeling haunted and emotional all weekend.
As I drove to school this morning I felt scared. I have never before felt unsafe going to school or work, but this morning I wasn't so sure anymore. Am I safe as a teacher? Will today be a normal day or one full of terror? But then this simple statement ran through my head:
Be happy, you can do it, you're a teacher.
As my students walked in to my room I couldn't help but tear up. Their little smiling faces greeted me as they do every morning, excited to go to school! I am a teacher because I love these children and I am grateful and blessed to work with them every day.
I get to be with children every day who within 5 minutes of free time on their ipods discovere how to play the piano and drums at the same time to create fun new music.
I get to be with children every day who create beautiful art work and are excited to do the simplest of tasks.
And I get to be with children every day who show me love, who send me letters even a year later, and who make me cry each time I read those letters.
The tragedy in Connecticut will continue to be on my mind over the next weeks I am sure. And although it is heartbreaking and devastating, I am grateful for the reminder that it gave me.
The reminder to be happy, you can do it, you're a teacher!


2 comments:
Like you, I spent most of the weekend in tears. This morning, I was also uneasy about going to school. I shared the same thoughts you had. I was listening to Christmas music on KLCE, hoping to lift my spirits. About halfway to school they played "Prayer of the Children" and dedicated it to the people of Newtown. I absolutely fell apart.
When I arrived at school, we had a meeting about increasing security and how we could deal with the children and any fears they might have. The change came when those children we are given charge over arrived - bright eyed, excited, and full of hope. That hope spread to my heart as well. Is there evil in the world? Yes. But there is also infinite goodness ... and we know that good will triumph in the end.
I am so glad those beautiful little children have you as their teacher....You are amazing!!
Post a Comment