Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why I'm a Teacher

Starting a couple weeks ago I began having first day of school nightmares. I'll show up to school without any clothes on or completely unprepared for the first day. I am starting at a new school with new students in a new district and there's a lot to worry about. But today I'm just thinking about why I teach. I teach because the students make me far happier then I could make them. I teach because what other job can you sing and dance at the drop of a hat! I teach for students like Grant, my autistic student last year. He was pure to the core. All year he only initiated conversations with a question. Miss French how old are you? Miss French what are you having for lunch? The last day of school as he walked out the room, turned to me and said, "Miss French, I will miss you." 

That is why I'm a teacher!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Thanks for making me cry! I am so glad there are great teachers like you out there.