Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Running In Idaho


I'm officially registered to run the Mesa Falls Half marathon August 27; before I know it, it will be here! So I'm spending a lot of my time running, which means I also spend a lot of time thinking about running. After running all summer there's some things I've discovered about running in Idaho that will never change:
  • The wind will blow almost every day. You have to enjoy the day it doesn't, because it's only one day a year!
  • You will see different animals every day: dogs, cats, cows, skunks, squirrels, birds, snakes.
  • Out of those different animals, most of them will be road kill
  • No matter how short or long the run, a bug will always make its way in to your mouth
  • There's a lot of runners in Idaho, and every one of them will wave and smile at you as you pass by!
  • There's always a corner where you can choose the short route, or the long route...and I'm trying to choose the longer route!
One final thought that I had this morning was almost more motivating for me then it might be for you. Since this Spring when I declared I wanted to lose a bunch of weight, the roads been rocky, but I'm heading in the right direction. What's more important is I feel better then I have in years. My thoughts today were directed by this. I passed a bigger sized girl like me riding her bike and she cheered me on as I was running. I thought it was interesting that the only other person I saw working out today was bigger like me. I'm realizing that no matter your size everyone can do hard things if they just set goals. I'm not any better then a skinny girl, but I do have to work a little harder. So to every girl out there, not matter your size-you can do hard things and you can do them well!

3 comments:

karly from [kar[+]wade] said...

yay! i am running the half marathon too! We can motivate each other!

Jenn said...

Go girl!!

Heather said...

Your post cracked me up! I really do admire you for being so diligent about running. I am jealous you are doing the 1/2 marathon. I am starting running again, and it is painful, but hopefully I'll get back to where I was again!