Tuesday, March 16, 2010

All 6'2" of himself!

I work with an amazing group of people at the BYU-Idaho Reading Center. I have lots of really great friends there and I love going to work every day. One of my friends at work is Hans Smith. I have never met anyone who loves baseball as much as Hans. He could direct any conversation towards baseball, especially the Cardinals. Another unique thing about Hans is he has cerebral palsy. He drives around an automatic wheelchair and has an amazing guide dog. He is inspirational to me because he reminds me that if he can do it, anyone can do it. Hans loves baseball but because of his disability can't play an actual game. I work with his twin sister Amanda and she said they have played baseball on video games since they were little. Sony apparently has a great MLB video game and Hans wrote to them a while ago thanking them for allowing him to be able to play baseball through his game. Sony amazingly contacted Hans and wanted to turn him into a player on the 2010 MLB video game. They flew him to their headquarters and scanned his head and even recorded his voice so the person on the game would be Hans. Tonight we had the season opener game on campus. The flowers around campus said to come watch "all 6'2" of himself!" I was very interested to see how they made him look and it was crazy seeing Hans on a baseball players body. Lots of news stations and newspapers were there and it was a great experience for everybody!


This is a horrible picture but Hans is the one in the middle. His best friend, Zach, is on his right. He was playing against him tonight as the Cubs team. Sony even over nighted a Cubs jersey for Zach to wear tonight.
This is Hans Smith #86... All 6'2" of himself!
Diane, Michelle and I all work together. We got hamburgers at the Crossroads so we could feel like we went to a concession stand! I love both of these girls and they have become some of my greatest friends this semester!







6 comments:

Amber said...

How fun! That is really neat.

Heather said...

I think that is so cool!

Jenn said...

That is amazing!! Thanks for sharing.

Terri French said...

I'm so glad you have such a wonderful job. The girls you work with are so cute.

Amber said...

I forgot to tell you that I think I heard you cheering on the news when they showed the clip about your friend.

Deborah Raymond said...

Some people touch our hearts in ways that make us better! Thanks for sharing that story!