Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The days are getting longer


Today was another great day at BYU-Idaho! I just wanted to share a little interesting tidbit that I learned in my Geography class today. We were learning about seasons and how come we have seasons here in Idaho but not really near the equator. I thought I knew how it worked, but I really didn't and it was so interesting! Anyways, we got on the subject of the Winter Solstice which is usually around Dec. 21. For those of you like me who didn't really understand what that means it basically is the shortest day of the whole year. My teacher Brother Madsen threw in this little info. that he said may be false doctrine, but it still is interesting! He said he looked back to the year Jospeh Smith was born (His birthday is Dec. 23) and found out that in that year the shortest day was Dec. 22. He then said that he found it interesting that it is always "darkest before the light" So the day before JS was born was the darkest day of the year and from then on it only got better, and it's that way with the restoration of the gosepl.....anyways, I thought it was cool and thought I'd share!


2 comments:

Brenda said...

Cool thought Melissa! I love studying things about our universe. How people can dismiss a higher power just makes no logical sense! And I'm grateful for seasons!

Heather said...

That's really cool. I never woudld've thought of that!