Sunday, September 13, 2009

Has It Really Only Been A Week?

With all of the things that have happened in the past 6 days, I can't believe it's only been a week, and I can't believe how much has happened! Where to begin...I moved back to Rexburg on Monday and it felt great to be back! It's silly how it's always hard to say goodbye to my parents, even when I know that I'll probably see them in a week or so, but I was grateful they came and helped me move in! On Tuesday I got an unexpected call from my Bishop and I had to go meet with him. The second he asked me to come in, I knew what was coming. I was called as the Relief Society President in my ward. My ward has 2 relief societies so I'm over 6 apartments or 36 girls. I was pretty overwhelmed at first and didn't even know what to think. And even though it's been a few days since I heard I still can't believe I was actually asked to do the job. But, I'm pretty excited about it actually. I already feel like I've learned a ton and have met a lot of great people.

Thursday was my first day back in class and although I think it's going to be an extremely hard semester for homework, I think I'm going to learn a lot of amazing things! It was fun to see some of the girls I've been friends with in class previous semesters and catch up. I also started a new job on campus this week that I'm excited about. I'll be working in the reading center on campus being a tutor. I will be working with international students, students with disabilities, or students who just want a little extra help with studying. There is a lot of training involved but I think I'll learn a lot about being a teacher.

Thursday night I was able to participate in the BYU-Idaho 24th ward calling night. I think it is one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. The Bishopric, Sunday school president, activities committee and the relief society presidents got a chance to meet all together with every apartment in the ward. Each apartment would come in for about 10 minutes or so. My Bishop was the only one who really talked but we all got to know the girls in the ward a little bit. When I went that night I didn't have any callings filled in my RS. I didn't even have counselors yet. But it was awesome how when the girls would walk in I would know where they were supposed to go. Sometimes the Bishop would talk to them for a while before I felt like I knew where they should be, but then other times, like when picking my counselors, I knew the second they walked that they were supposed to be my counselors! I'm very excited about the girls I get to work with, they seem really really fun.

Friday night I got to go see my sisters keeper. I have been wanting to watch the movie since I finished reading the book a few months ago. The movie was just as amazing as the book. I think I bawled from about 10 minutes in to the movie to the end. The only problem was the movie completely changed the ending. It wasn't a bad ending, just completely different. So be forewarned if you watch it that it's different then the book!

Yesterday I got to take the final boating trip of the year with my family! I wanted to be able to ski at least on more time and it was definitely a blast! I wanted to cry when I left the lake yesterday because I knew it would be 9 more months before I'm behind the boat again, but until then there is snow skiing to look forward to!

And finally today was my first Sunday as the president. I was shaking and sweating and extremely nervous but I think it went great. I already love the girls in my ward and we're going to have a great semester!!!

Finally back together with Mel again!
I had to take a picture of this...Melissa got brand new glass dishes and wanted to somehow label them. She got etching cream from porters and it was awesome! I want to buy glass pans just so I can do it! It literally etched in to the glass different pictures or letters and made it look super cute!



5 comments:

Terri French said...

What an event filled week. You will be busy, but I know you will accomplish everything you need to do. I didn't even think about how the reading lab would apply to your being a teacher. I bet you will learn a lot that will help you in your career.

I miss you...and love you!!

Heather said...

I forgot how busy college is. But, I know you will do great with all that you have to do. I'm sure you will finish of the semester and say, "That was the best semester EVER!!" (Just imagine Beau saying that phrase teasing you!!:)) We love you and miss you.

Deborah Raymond said...

Melissa... my favorite thing about your post is how you are experiencing the Holy Ghost guiding you in the Lord's work... isn't it just the most amazing blessing?!?!?! I love you tons and know you will have a wonderful year!

ParkerandKatieDavis said...

wow, congrats on the calling. I know you will be amazing at it. Couldn't ask for a better relief society president!!

the ginabean said...

Cool! I'm RS Pres too, Melissa! It's nutso, huh? I'm sure you'll do a smashing job! :)